Monday 21 April 2014

How my biggest career interview with Esther Kalenzi didn't make it to Urban TV...

Esther Kalenzi; a 26 year old young achiever in the Heroes category and Team leader of award winning charity, 40 Days over 40 Smiles Foundation.

Esther's story has been told and retold. It is a story of courage and youth enterprise. It is the story of a woman with a big heart and young people with even bigger hearts. A story that started in February 2012 when Esther opened up a facebook page to mobilise her friends to give and make a difference in the lives of vulnerable children as a way of celebrating Easter. A story that has grown over social media campaigns and creatively implemented events like #buyabrick, #HoopsforGrace, #BeSanta, #5ASide.... 
Allow me introduce you to Esther and her team on Twitter through their latest caampaign, #Ibuiltadorm that climaxed with the commissioning of a dormitory for 210 kids at the Happy Times school in Luwero disrict. 

I love winners, just like everyone else. So, ever since I heard Esther's story, I've been eagerly looking forward to the day I'll tell her story on TV, the platform God has blessed me with.
So Lady luck smiles upon me this Easter and on Holy Thursday, I get Esther Kalenzi and Nada Andersen of the Star Leo Advertising Agency in studio to talk about social networking for social good.

The interview is amazing; we talk about the power of social media, the motivation for Esther and her crew of philantrophists, and the projects that 40/40 would be tackling next.For me, it's Mission accomplished! 

I will now wait for final touches to be made on the show so I can tell my friends and family that I told one of the biggest Ugandan stories on TV, but alas, it was not to be...
According to the technical team, the recording of my biggest career interview had been distorted by a DW recording that had been going on in the transmission room during our interview. The interview had been damaged beyond repair and would not be airing.

Devastated! It's Saturday and Esther is in Luweero doing what she does best; charity and compassion.



And like my boss told me on Easter Monday; with some stories like the Presidential Selfie in Arua, you get one minute and that's it! Hopefully, this will not turn out to be that kind of story. It is still top on my to-do list; tell the story of the Ugandan youths that dared to give, Team 40/40. Am starting with this blog post.

Luckily for Urban TV's viewers, Raziah Athman, the features correspondent at Urban TV attended the commissioning of the dormitory in Luwero and filed this beautiful piece. #Ibuiltadorm story by Urban TV's Raziah Athman 

To be continued....

Pictures; Sourced from Urban TV's coverage of Esther Kalenzi and 40 days over 40 smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment